Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Please Billy, Spare Us.

On September 19th of this year, Billy Corgan announced on his website that the "Smashing Pumpkins" will be releasing another album. And not just any album, one that will be spanning forty-four tracks, and will be free to all. Normally if an artist that I know and love were to make this announcement, I would be beyond excited. Sadly, this is not the "Smashing Pumpkins" that I know and love. With the departure of the original drummer, who has been replaced by some 19 (maybe 20) year old, Billy is the only remaining original Pumpkin. Not only that, but the last "Pumpkins" album that was released, Zeitgeist, was a fucking mess. It was nearly impossible to listen to. It was like watching your childhood teddy bear get ripped to pieces, then suddenly being urinated upon. That bad.

You can imagine my worry when I saw this announcement. Then I read the paragraph where Billy has tried to explain the significance, or 'meaning' of the album:

"The story of the album is based on 'The Fool's Journey', as signified in the progress of the Tarot. It is my intention to approach this by breaking down the journey of our life here into four phases as made by these different characters; the Child, the Fool, the Skeptic, and the Mystic."

Thanks for the essay proposal Billy. To make things sound any more sane, Billy has named the album Teargarden by Kaleidyscope. What?


The quote suits the man.

Please Billy, stop destroying the Pumpkins name, and stop making it harder for me to be a fan of your music.

No comments:

Post a Comment