Thursday, October 22, 2009

Dead Man's Bones

Ended up listening to the whole of Dead Man's Bones, Ryan Gosling's foray into music. And I have to say I was not that impressed. The first song I heard by them (just below this post) gave me a sense of optimism. Maybe it was just the surprise of a movie star making music that wasn't completely un-listenable. That means you, Bruce Willis and Billy Bob Thornton.

Almost all the tracks feature a choir backing the duo's vocals, which sounded like a pretty good idea. Until I listened to the whole album. I didn't really find one song on the album that I truly enjoyed (Name in Stone isn't on this album), and frankly the whole thing was pretty boring. Sometimes the choir works, and sometimes it just completely falls flat. Like on My Body's a Zombie For You. I'm not sure what is so unsettling about a dozen children yelling "My body's a zombie for you!" repeatedly. Maybe it just didn't strike the right chord with me, but I wouldn't exactly recommend it to anybody. Sorry Ryan, but maybe stick to what you're good at.

No comments:

Post a Comment