Sunday, June 7, 2009

65 Years ago, yesterday.

Yesterday marked the 65th anniversary of the Normandy invasion by the Allied troops, making it the largest aerial, naval, and land invasion our modern history has ever seen. Being both French and Canadian I am instilled with a great sense of pride, and sadness. Sad that my own people fell so quickly at the hands of the German war machine, and were completely helpless on their own. But proud that my other, Canadian, countrymen took up arms and came to the defense of so many European nations. Its a strange feeling. I almost get choked up thinking about what both of the countries that I hold dear to my heart went through. I just wish the French were a little more grateful. I was here in France on V-E Day, and I was here yesterday.


I have yet to see any body celebrating, or even acknowledging the dates.


Lest we forget.


http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/1944_NormandyLST.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment