Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Finally

Mats Sundin has retired. After 18 NHL seasons, the Big Swede is out of the game permanently. Thank fucking God. I say that not because I didn't like him, he was a fine player. I say that because now we don't have to hear about whether or not he wants to play for months on end, and we don't have to watch some sucker GM sign him for ten million a season, only for him to play half of it.

What really pissed me off though, was his refusal to be traded from the Maple Leafs during his last season there, knowing he wasn't going to play for them the next season anyways. A cup-bound team like Detroit surely would have loved to trade some prospects and draft pick to the Leafs. Might even have put the Leafs a year ahead of the rebuilding schedule. I guess we'll never know, but that move from Mats was a serious kick in the pants. If you ask me, that move tarnished my view of the man, and painted him as a selfish player who wanted a big fat paycheck at the end of his career.

No comments:

Post a Comment