Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Boule, and an old friend. (May 6th Journal Entry)

I woke up very late in the afternoon as I recall, around one or two pm. A good thirteen hour sleep to get the trip off on a well-rested foot. After spending some time with Sophie in the late afternoon, I went out for a walk and found this:




Poor Marilyn.

I returned to Sophie's neighborhood later that evening and continued to explore, where I ended up watching several dozen men playing 'boule'. Taking pictures was a tricky affair, as it looked like these men would not like some Canadian photographing them. The crowd was immense, filling the grass embankments that surrounded the dirt in the center of the roundabout. This game seems to be a variation of bocce...or maybe the other way around, I don't know. Either way the object of the game seemed to be throw the big iron ball as close to the small ball as possible. Simple enough, but there's probably something I missed.


There were about seventy-five people playing and watching, with four games going on at once. The game is kind of a big deal here.

Later that evening I went to meet my old friend Andrew, it had been about a year since he left Canada for France. The evening was full of many drinks, basically carrying on our conversation from where it left off. The Roc-Pile was semi-intact again.

Hang over in the works:


No comments:

Post a Comment